Botox-like injections, called neuromodulators, have increased 459% since 2000. Botox remains the number 1 minimally-invasive cosmetic procedure in the world. Botox also has over 1 million more procedures a year than the next most common procedure, dermal fillers.
So, what should you know when considering if Botox is right for you? Here are the answers to 5 Frequently Asked Questions:
- How and why does Botox work? Neuromodulators are a type of protein that temporarily relax the muscle they are injected in. These proteins block some of the nerve signals to the muscles, slowing the level of contraction. These FDA-approved products treat fine lines and wrinkles that are created by muscle movement. It is also a great way to delay the formation of new wrinkles. As time goes on, your body recycles the toxin and the muscles will begin showing activity.
- What’s involved in the procedure? At Fresh Pearl MedSpa, our process starts with a consultation where you and your injector discuss your goals and your full medical background/history to make sure you’re a good candidate for Botox treatment. After discussing and determining the plan for you, we’ll take photos for you to then see the difference from before and after the procedure. Your face is then cleansed and the injections take place using very thin needles. There is almost no downtime.
- How many injections will there be? Muscle strength, size and metabolism are some of the biggest determinants of how many injections will be best for you. As you continue to get routine injections, you will require less product and injections to get the same results. With each treatment, the muscles injected atrophy, so each subsequent time they will need less product to get a relaxed and smooth appearance. Additionally, Botox-like treatments are only one aspect of a complete skin care program. Your at-home skin care routine along with other treatments will give you the best and longest lasting results.
- How long will it take to see results? A Botox treatment may take 7-10 days to take full effect. You will start to see results as early as a few days after the procedure. The average length of the effects is 3-4 months. If you decide to stop getting treatments or skip a treatment, your muscles will go back to their normal movements, which can cause fine lines and wrinkles to return.
- What are the pros and cons of Botox? The Botox procedure is quick and practically painless, downtime is almost nonexistent, and it’s the gold standard for targeting fine lines and wrinkles caused by muscle movement. With a good injector, your results will look natural, not frozen. However, the cons include Botox is not a permanent solution and will require follow-up treatments every 3‑4 months. If injected poorly, some minimal bruising may occur or you may notice some asymmetries. Some injectors are not certified, experienced or licensed, or they use expired and/or diluted products. Careful selection of where you have such services performed is recommended.